Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Submission

A few moments ago, I submitted my work to a publishing house. This isn't the first time I've sent my work to a publisher but it is the first time in a long while. Back in the last century (ok, 1999), I sent off a query letter regarding my then current project to over a hundred literary agents and publishers. Most of them were located in NYC. I received letters back from two of them. Two. I admit that - for a while - I was bitter. But I got over that a few years later when digital technology flattened the playing field, so to speak, and gave us independent authors a chance to get our work seen without having to jump through hoops.

I've toyed with the idea of submitting my work to publishers on and off over the past few years. I've read and heard stories both fantastic and nightmarish about working with publishing companies. In that sense, publishing is like any other field - there are some good companies out there and there are some stinkers. I had the opportunity to meet some of the staff members of this company in person and was impressed by their honesty and experience. That's why I decided to send my current book to them. Even if the work isn't for them, I'll know that they gave it a fair shot. Since the book is out for review, I'll hold off publishing via amazon for a few weeks yet.

For the time being, it's on to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment