Friday, April 3, 2015

And so it continues....

Writing, re-writing, re-doing, re-setting, re-booting. This is what i've been doing for the past several months. Time Swerve Terminal has changed. It's not the same book anymore. It's gone through at least two major overhauls. I've kept the names of some of the characters but changed others. I've changed the starting point of the story. I've changed its guts, its bones, its blood.

And it's all for the better.

As I went back through (what used to be) TST and tweaked a section here, changed the pace there, added a detail then took out some others, I saw the story anew. It shifted. It morphed. It faded to black then reappeared as a different beast. One that I had to write from scratch.

That's what I've been doing since the last post. I meant to write this post a while back. In fact, I'd convinced myself I did write it. That I'd sat down at the computer and posted it. But I didn't. Because when I sat down, I opened up the (what used to be) TST file to go over what I'd written that morning. An idea came to me. Then another. And another. I had to take notes. Then I had to write a paragraph. Then another. Then I lost track of the reason I'd sat down. I forgot about the blog entry. Then kept forgetting about it. Now, here I am months later.

I don't have a title for the redone book (Evo-Earth is the working title). It won't be out for a few months. I'm debating whether to make it a long book (c. 100K words, maybe 120K) or to break that down into two shorter books which I would publish at the same time. For all the talk about people having shorter attention spans these days many of the longer books published are the better selling ones. When we find something we like, we don't mind reading longer books. But maybe offering the public a shorter, cheaper start to a series (this will be a series) is the better way to go. I still need to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment